Understanding Spiritual Gifts
1. Receiving Spiritual Gifts from the "Fullness"
- During His earthly ministry, Jesus was anointed
with a full measure of the Holy Spirit (Jn
- Christ represents the fullness of the Godhead
in His glorified body (Col
2:9). The Church is now part of the body
of Christ and has received of His fullness (Jn
- After His ascension, Christ began to pour
out of Himself and give gifts to the members
of His body (Eph 4:7,8)
2. Defining and Examining Spiritual Gifts
- Spiritual Gifts: (Definition) Spiritual gifts
are those special abilities and talents given
by Christ through the Holy Spirit which God
intends Christians to use in fulfilling His
purpose on the earth.
- Examining the different gifts
3. Important Facts Concerning Spiritual Gifts
- We receive our spiritual gifts at the time
of our salvation (I Pet
1:23). Spiritual gifts are received not
- Spiritual gifts are given to fulfil Christ's
purpose on the earth (Acts
- Spiritual gifts are different from natural
- Spiritual gifts are different from the fruit
of the Spirit (Gal 5:22,
- Spiritual gifts are different from Christian
- Christians are given more than one spiritual
gift (Rm 12:6-8).
The combination of our main gift areas is called
our "gift mix".
- Spiritual gifts are given to us by "measure"
(Eph 4:7). The "measure"
of our gift is found in the degree of anointing
and the scope of ministry that our gift allows
us to have.
- There are three things to remember while concerning
the measure of your gifts.
- We each must relate to our gifts honestly
and realistically (Rm
- The measure of our gifts can increase
- Be careful not to step beyond your measure
of gift or anointing (II
Cor 10: 13).
- We must be careful of Satan's attempt to
confuse us with counterfeit gifts (Acts
- Spiritual gifts are meant to be permanent
and to be used throughout our lives (Rm
to Teachings Top